Hello from the new Managing Editor

By: October 29th, 2012 Email This Post Print This Post

Greetings, OSHA Healthcare Advisor readers!

My name is Will Kilburn, and I’m the new managing editor for several of HCPro’s safety newsletters and ezines, including Medical Environment Update, Briefings on Hospital Safety/Healthcare Security Alert, OSHA Healthcare Connection, Infection Control Weekly Monitor, and Hospital Safety Connection.

In addition to sending news and information out to you, I’ll also take an active role in the conversation between HCPro and you: Posting and moderating discussions on the OSHA Healthcare Advisor Blog as well as Mac’s Safety Space, and monitoring the OSHA Compliance Hotline to make sure your questions get answered by one of HCPro’s experts.

Over the next few months, I’ll also be asking for your opinions and ideas about what we at HCPro do, and how we can do it better. If you have comments, story suggestions, or requests for healthcare safety-related material, please let me know by emailing wkilburn@hcpro.com or calling 800-650-6787 x3714.

Comments

By Jeanne Smith on October 29th, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I was told that offices need to start using K-Y jelly packets vs. the tubes…is this correct??

By Bruce Cunha on October 30th, 2012 at 10:44 am

Welcome Will. You have some big shoes to fill, but I am sure you will do a great job.

By Steve MacArthur on October 30th, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Welcome aboard Will – best of luck!

By Kathy Lawler on October 31st, 2012 at 9:24 am

I look forward to the regular updates. I was So accustomed to having my questions answered, before I could even put them into words! Welcome Will

By Joyce Hagens on October 31st, 2012 at 10:23 am

Welcome Will! Look forward to the interaction

By Susan Capps on November 8th, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Welcome Will! Thank you for taking on such a project. Let us know how we can help you also!

Jeanne- here’s the answer to your question about K-Y jelly packets/tubes, courtesy of Steve MacArthur, consultant for The Greeley Company, a division of HCPro, and author of Mac’s Safety Space:

“I don’t see anything that makes me think that this is some sort of regulatory mandate. Any time you have a multi-use package you can run the risk of contamination, so the single-use packaging would be less risky, but whether the risk of multi-use lubricant is enough to drive a new or revised regulation isn’t clear. My advice would be to contact the manufacturer to see if they have any thoughts/recommendations and go from there.”

Hope this answers your question, and if not, please let us know!

Best, Will

Thanks to everyone for the kind welcome!

Regarding Susan’s post above, you can help by continuing to do what you’ve been doing: Ask questions (here on the blog, or directly to me by phone or email), and talk to your peers here on this blog and on Mac’s Safety Space. Is there a scenario you’ve encountered that you need help with? Is there a regulation that you’re not sure about? Send it our way, and we’ll find the answer.