- OSHA Healthcare Advisor - http://blogs.hcpro.com/osha -

Hospital worker dies of anesthetic overdose

A Pittsburgh area hospital worker was found dead in a storage closet next to a bottle of inhalant anesthesia, reported the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review [1], March 22.

For now police are ruling out foul play and characterizing the death of Samuel William Parks, 29, of McDonald, PA, as an accidental overdose, according to the report.

Parks had been performing night-shift security and housekeeping duties for approximately one year at Advanced Surgical Hospital in North Franklin, PA.

The Washington County Coroner told the newspaper that inhaled anesthetic “is suspected to be involved,” but that finding will have to await confirmation from toxicology tests.

The facility performs outpatient surgeries, including orthopedic and plastic surgeries.