Hospital worker dies of anesthetic overdose

By: March 29th, 2011 Email This Post Print This Post

A Pittsburgh area hospital worker was found dead in a storage closet next to a bottle of inhalant anesthesia, reported the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, March 22.

For now police are ruling out foul play and characterizing the death of Samuel William Parks, 29, of McDonald, PA, as an accidental overdose, according to the report.

Parks had been performing night-shift security and housekeeping duties for approximately one year at Advanced Surgical Hospital in North Franklin, PA.

The Washington County Coroner told the newspaper that inhaled anesthetic “is suspected to be involved,” but that finding will have to await confirmation from toxicology tests.

The facility performs outpatient surgeries, including orthopedic and plastic surgeries.

Comments

By Bruce Cunha on March 29th, 2011 at 10:47 am

Hmmmm. You intentionally inhale a anesthesia agent and it kills you. I think the term “accidental” is not appropriate – Stupid migh be a better term.

Wonder if the Hospital is going to have to pay death benefits and Workers Comp. for the family?

Guess we will have to start tracking our empty anesthesia bottles.

By Pameal Dembski Hart on March 29th, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Why didnt the organization screen/verify the employee’s background who had access to these controlled substances/inhalents???? This was no accident.

 

Leave a Comment

*

« | Home | »

Subscribe - Get blog updates via e-mail

  • test
  • HCPro Broadcast Events Calendar

hcpro.com