Getting down and dirty in knowing your regulated medical waste (RMW) generation and disposal needs is the best way of making sure you’re getting good value for your disposal bucks. Here are some tips from Wes Sonnier, president of BioMedical Waste Solutions  in Port Arthur, TX:
- Make sure the frequency of RMW service is in line with your waste generation.
- You are being charged for those half-full RMW boxes.
Assess whether you really need premium services such as OSHA compliance
- monitoring or whether you can perform those tasks yourself.
- Know whether rate increase options are part of the contract and what you can do to accept or reject those options.
- Monitor the waste going into your red bags and sharps containers. Not every bit of waste produced from patient care is RMW, and regular solid waste disposed as RMW is expensive.