Ask the expert: X-rays for TB screening

By: July 27th, 2010 Email This Post Print This Post

Q: How often do you need a chest x-ray if you test positive to TB? A staff physician believes he needs to have one every 4-5 years unless he becomes symptomatic. What is the recommendation?

A: CDC Guidelines for Preventing the Transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Health-Care Settings, 2005 provides advice and in this case recommends against repeat x-rays.

The guideline document on p. 30 says that healthcare workers:

“…with a baseline positive or newly positive TST or BAMT result should receive one chest radiograph to exclude a diagnosis of TB disease….After this baseline chest radiograph is performed and the result is documented, repeat radiographs are not needed unless symptoms or signs of TB disease develop or a clinician recommends a repeat chest radiograph.”

In place of serial testing, healthcare workers with positive test results should receive a symptom screening. The frequency of the screening should be determined by the risk classification of the healthcare facility, the guidelines add.

State health department regulations for TB prevention in healthcare facilities may differ from federal guidelines, so it is best to check that your state follows CDC recommendations.

Get into compliance with HCPro’s Basic OSHA Compliance Manual Kits for medical or dental practices. Receive bimonthly electronic manual updates through your newsletter subscription that keep your regulatory manual up to date and in compliance!

Comments

Thank you for that information. I am starting a new job and the owner is insisting that the xray has to be done yearly and I keeping telling her that it is not so. I take them every five years just to satisfy these jobs but I know it is not necessary. I do not have any symptoms, colds, fevers or anything. I wish that OSHA would make standard and make it known.

We are required every year to take a tb skin test during yearly physical. I cannot take tb skin test as I have had BCG and it shows false positive. The health department advised me not to take a tb skin test. My work sends me for an x-ray every year and insists I must do x-ray every year. Is this the right cause of action or is there any other method of determining my routine status without being subjected to x-ray every year? I live in the State of Alabama and I will be most grateful to know the answer.
Thank you.

By Tammie Bennett on July 1st, 2014 at 8:34 am

Do healthcare workers need a repeat chest xray every 5 years if there is a chest xray that is negative for TB? Or just a symptom questionnaire?

We are required every year to take a tb skin test. I cannot take tb skin test as I have false positive. The health department advised me not to take a tb skin test. My work sends me for an x-ray every year and insists I must do x-ray every year. Is this the right cause of action or is there any other method of determining my routine status without being subjected to x-ray every year? I live in the State of Alabama and I will be most grateful to know the answer.
Thank you.

We are required every year to take a tb skin test. I cannot take tb skin test as I have had a false positive. The health department advised me not to take a tb skin test. My work sends me for an x-ray every year and insists I must do x-ray every year. Is this the right cause of action or is there any other method of determining my routine status without being subjected to x-ray every year? I live in the State of Alabama and I will be most grateful to know the answer.
Thank you.

Can a new employer (in ems) force you to take a CXR even though you have a 1 year old CXR? I live in California and don’t want unnecessary radiation exposer when I have a current CRX. Any advise is appropriated

By ekane Bridget Esunge on March 18th, 2016 at 6:58 am

cooperation. when i went to do the X-ray the doctor told me i don’t have to do a chest X-ray every year except i am presenting with signs and symptoms of the disease.The LPN also stated that the y can never vaccinate somebody against TB with BCG vaccine. I was shock to here this argument from an LPN. I need some advice how to deal with this institution. Thanks Ekane Bridget Esunge

By L Hernandez on September 7th, 2016 at 8:27 am

If you test positive or have had the BCG Vaccine get the blood test done.

(QuantiFERON) Don’t get an x-ray every year too much exposure.

Good luck!

By karen lund on August 7th, 2017 at 11:36 am

I am in the State of Texas and operate a foster care agency. We are required by the standards that govern our foster care license to obtain TB testing on all household members over the age of 1 year old before taking children into their home. If a caretaker presents with a chest x-ray, how old can it be to be considered current?
Is there other documentation we should request from the prospective caregiver such as the symptom questionnaire? Thank you

By LINDA D SMITH on August 28th, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Once a positive PPD is confirmed; how often should a chest x-ray be performed. This is in a healthcare setting.

How often is a chest x-ray to be performed if you show no signs of TB.isnt it every 4-5 years in Pa.

^^^^ also in a healthcare setting

How often or frequent do I need to get quantiferon TB test? I use to get the chest X-ray, but I got the blood work done in 4/16.

We perform TB tests for employers. Can an employer request a TB x-ray without the person ever having a positive skin test performed?

By Katrin Neal on March 21st, 2018 at 8:34 pm

Do I have to get a chest X-ray once per year?

Had chest xray done in 2009. Do I have to have another chest xray done? I’ve never had symptoms. If needed, is the Quantiferon TB test best option? Thank you

By Randy Seewald, MBBS, on October 4th, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Do you need to perform a PA and LATERAL CXR to rule out TB or will a PA suffice in an asymptomatic patient with a positive TB Quantiferon test?

Thanks!

I had been exposed to TB 18 years ago. I undergo a 6 month of medication and after that had a chest x ray which resulted to normal. 2 years ago I had a negative blood test for TB. But recently I had another done again and the result of both blood test and chest x ray is positive. My question is will a chest x ray of a person who just had a chest congestion show positive result on x ray? Because I still sick when I had my last chest x ray. Please adv. Thank you.

I am having a big problem about the length of time one had to repeat the chest xray for tb. My job had took me off the schedule wanting me to repeat a tb chest xray with in a year or two. The doctor told me that my present xray goes for 5yrs but my job is insisting that i present a chest xray before going back to work. I need some answers from the cdc department about the lenght of time it takes to repeat the chest xray when one is not disposed to tb. Thanks….

By Luis Martinez on November 25th, 2019 at 6:46 pm

In California it’s 4-5 years that you need to take a chest X-ray if you had previously tested positive.
Just make sure to ask for a copy of the test to keep for yourself in case you switch jobs.

By Melissa Elliott on August 12th, 2020 at 5:03 pm

I have a nursing student who had TB x-ray in March 2018 and a chest imaging in April 2018 after testing positive. The x-ray and imaging showed no abnormalities. The student says she only needs to obtain an x-ray every 3 to 5 years. Is this correct?What is symptom screening and should she be required to obtain screening annuallly in lieu of a skin test? Thank you.