There is mold in my wall, is it a safety issue?

By: March 25th, 2010 Email This Post Print This Post

Q: We have a wall that is lumpy in appearance. Is this a safety issue?

A: This can be a very serious mold issue. Check with your plant engineering department for a proper assessment and clean-up if necessary.

Wherever moisture and oxygen are present there is a chance that mold can grow. In addition to causing damage to building materials, and thereby creating structural damage, some molds have the potential to cause adverse health effects, including asthma attacks, allergic reactions, skin rashes and irritation to the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.

Moisture control is the key to mold control. For more information, read OSHA’s Safety and Health Information Bulletin document, “A Brief Guide to Mold in the Workplace,” which offers recommendations on how to prevent mold growth and suggests proper methods of cleanup.

Employee safety includes protection from molds and fungi that may be lurking in the drywall of your laboratory.

For more information on how to handle mold in your workplace, read Kathy Rooker’s “Notes from the field” post, or click here for a complete mold management resource.

 

Leave a Comment

*

« | Home | »

Subscribe - Get blog updates via e-mail

  • test
  • HCPro Broadcast Events Calendar

hcpro.com