November 15, 2012 | | Comments 0
Print This Post
Email This Post

Poll results: Using technology to connect with patients

Last month, I posted about the ways that technology could improve patients’ communication with nurses but could also place a greater burden on nurses for round-the-clock care and feedback. To get a feel for how often nurses used technology and social media to interact with patients, we posted a poll on StrategiesForNurseManagers.com asking nurses and other healthcare professionals to weigh in.

Approximately three-quarters (74%) of those who participated in the poll responded that they did not use social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn to interact with patients, while the remaining 26% replied that they do use those technologies for patient interaction.

While these results indicate that social networking sites have not become a place for healthcare communications, I still wonder whether nurses and other practitioners use other forms of technology, such as emails, listervs, or websites, to share information with patients and respond to questions about treatment plans. As mentioned previously, these resources have the potential to improve patient care, but they must be leveraged appropriately.

How do you communicate and follow up with patients outside of their scheduled appointment times? Leave a comment below!

Entry Information

Filed Under: Healthcare communication

Tags:

About the Author: Katrina Gravel is an editor for the Education division of HCPro.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.