The Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) released the revised “Guide to Privacy and Security of Electronic Health Information”  April 13 to help organizations integrate federal health information privacy and security requirements.
The guide is geared toward HIPAA covered entities and Medicare eligible professionals from smaller organizations. The updated version features information about compliance with the privacy and security requirements of CMS’ Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs as well as compliance with HIPAA Privacy, Security, and Breach Notification Rules.
The guide covers such topics as:
- Increasing patient trust through privacy and security
- Provider responsibilities under HIPAA
- Health information rights of patients
- Security patient information in EHRs
- Meaningful Use core objectives that address privacy and security
- A seven-step approach for implementing a security management process
- Breach notification and HIPAA enforcement