- HIPAA Update - http://blogs.hcpro.com/hipaa -

HIPAA Q&A: Minor’s record

Q. Whom should we notify if a minor’s record is breached? For example, a grandparent who works in our healthcare organization reviews the record of a newborn grandchild without authorization.

A. When breaches occur, you are required to notify the affected patients or their legal representatives. A minor child’s legal representative is a parent or legal guardian.

Editor’s note: Mary D. Brandt, MBA, RHIA, CHE, CHPS, answered this question. Brandt, a nationally recognized expert on patient privacy, information security, and regulatory compliance, is associate executive director of Health Information Management (HIM) at Scott & White Healthcare in Temple, TX. Some of her publications were used as a basis for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 privacy regulations. Advice given is general. Readers should consult professional counsel for specific legal, ethical, or clinical questions.