The California ACDIS Chapter hosted its first in-person conference on Friday, June 26, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Henry Mayo Hospital in Valencia. The chapter has been going strong for nearly six years now. Initially, there were three separate groups for each distinctive region of the state. After a few months, however, the northern and southern sections joined the central group for its monthly web-based networking groups. After three years, the time came for a leadership change and new volunteers stepped forward.
The new team changed meetings from a monthly to bi-monthly cadence and began recruiting help in the form of speakers and leadership assistance from its state-wide membership. Soon, the leadership swelled from three to nearly a dozen. Each volunteer agreed to take on a specific task and before long the chapter began planning a live full-day event for the state.
We gratefully acknowledge their efforts and congratulate the team for an amazing day of networking and education for the nearly 200 attendees.
Check out these photos from the event, courtesy of the California ACDIS Leadership Team. [more]
Heartland: The new Heartland ACDIS Chapter (encompassing the region where MO, IL, KY, TN, and AR meet) will host its first annual meeting HealthPoint Plaza in Cape Girardeau, MO, on Friday, June 22, 5-7 p.m. Light refreshments will be served. For information, contact Sara Baine at 573/331-6932 or email sbaine@SEhealth.org. Click here to read the agenda for the June 2012 meeting.
New Jersey: The next NJ ACDIS meeting will be held Friday June 22, 12:30-4:30 p.m., at The Meeting Annex, 385 West Ferris St. Suite D, East Brunswick, NJ. Featuring speakers Kim Felix, RHIA, and Ian Diener, MD, regarding ICD-9 and ICD-10 preparations. Lunch will be provided. A webinar connection will be available for those who cannot attend in person. To register visit: http://knowledgeconnex.com/RRA/register.htm.
South Carolina: The next SC ACDIS meeting takes place Saturday, July 28, at Georgetown (SC) Hospital System. Please RSVP to JBratz@georgetownhospitalsystem.org by Monday, June 25.
Minnesota: The next MN telephone conference will be held June 27, 1-2 p.m., Central. For information, contact Mark LeBlanc, RN, MBA, CCDS, at Hennepin County Medical Center, by phone at (612) 873-9376 or by e-mail at email@example.com or contact Barb Smith, RN, by e-mail at BSMITH7@Fairview.org.
California: The next CA-ACDIS teleconference takes place Wednesday, June 27, 9-10 a.m., pacific. There will be a general discussion and sharing of information from the 5th Annual ACDIS Conference held in San Diego in May. For information, contact, Emmons.Emily@scrippshealth.org
Pediatric CDI Network: The Association of Pediatric Documentation Specialists (APDIS) meets Thursday, June 28, 2-3 p.m., Eastern. Robert S. Gold, MD, will discuss pediatric/NICU heart failure. For information, contact Valerie Bica BSN RN CPN, at Nemours/AI duPont Hospital for Children by phone at 302-651-6319 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
North Carolina: The next NC ACDIS meeting takes place Friday, July 20, at CMC NorthEast in Concord. For information, call Leah Taylor at 704/878-7436 or Brenda Harris at 704/863-6378; or visit ncacdis.org.
New networking groups
Philadelphia: The Philadelphia CDI network has new energy and is planning its first meeting for 2012. For information, contact Judi Bates at Lourdes Health System at 856/757-3161 or e-mail at BatesJ@lourdesnet.org. Or call Debby Dallen at Albert Einstein Medical Center at 856/786-0897 or e-mail email@example.com.
Rochester, NY: Ruth Pfrengle, BSN, RN, director of utilization management at the University of Rochester Medical Center, has volunteered to help facilitate networking opportunities in the region. For information, contact 585/273-3816 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Texas: Barbara Presley, RN, CDI specialist at the University Medical Center Brackenridge in Austin has volunteered to help professionals from the San Antonio/Austin area to network. For information, contact her at 512/324-7679 or e-mail baPresley@seton.org.
Vermont: Suzanne Schultz, RN, BSN, CCM, CCDS, CDI specialist at the University of Vermont Medical Center in Burlington, has volunteered to connect CDI professionals in the state. For information, contact her at 802/847-2140 or e-mail email@example.com.
Washington: The Evergreen ACDIS Chapter of Northwest Washington seeks new volunteers to help lead the group in 2012. For information, contact Jennifer Woodworth, RN, BSN, CCDS, director of CDI at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle by phone at 206/215-2073 or e-mail Jennifer.Woodworth@swedish.org. Or contact Cathie Murphree, LPN, CCDS, Documentation Improvement Specialist/HIM, at St. Joseph Medical Center, in Bellingham, at 360/788-6300 ext. 3429 or e-mail CMurphree@peacehealth.org.
West Virginia: Sheila Harrison, RN, BSN, CDI specialist at the Charleston Area Medical Center, Teays Valley Division, has volunteered to help get networking efforts started in the state. For information, contact 304/389-0689 or e-mail Sheila.Harrison@camc.org.
New Hampshire: The next meeting will be held Wednesday, February 8, 1-2:30 p.m., at Elliot Hospital in Manchester. For information, contact Carla A. Heyn at 603/663-3452 or by e-mail at cheyn@Elliot-HS.org
Albany, NY: The Albany (NY) ACDIS Regional Chapter holds its next meeting Wednesday, February 8, 2-4 p.m., at St. Peter’s Hospital. The group will discuss documentation regarding acute renal failure. For information, contact Lois Rubin at 518/525-1081 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virginia: The next Virginia ACDIS Chapter meeting will be held Saturday, February 11, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at 1222 Jefferson Park Ave., in Charlottesville. Each attending facility will present/discuss what works well in their facility and what needs improvements. There will also be a teleconference/webinar presentation by ACDIS Advisory Board member Glenn Krauss.
Continuing its “ACDIS gives back” tradition, UVA has decided to donate to The HAVEN, a safe and welcoming place for the homeless in our community. Donations can range from warm items such as gloves, hats, or scarves to nonperishable food. A complete list can be obtained at www.thehavenatfirstandmarket.org/give/. For information, contact Sequana Webb 434/760-4491 or e-mail email@example.com.
Wisconsin: Will hold its winter meeting Saturday, February 18, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., at Wheaton Franciscan Health Care, in Wauwatosa. Continental breakfast and lunch will be provided. CCDS and AHIMA credits will be offered. The meeting agenda includes:
- “A Clinical Perspective on Chart Review and Diagnoses Assignment: A QIO Reviewer’s Perspective,” by Jessica Whitley, MD, MBA, hospitalist and QIO reviewer.
- “CDI’s Impact on the Recovery Audit Contractor Initiative: Capitalizing on our Strengths to Minimize Hospital Financial Exposure,” by Diane Draize, RN, CPUR, CCDS, CDI specialist at Ministry Health, and Joan Korn, BSN, RN, CDI specialist at Wheaton Franciscan Health Care.
- “What You Don’t Know About Principles of Multiple Significant Trauma is What You Don’t Know!,” by Kathy Thomas, RN, CDI specialist at Wheaton Franciscan Health Care, and Renee Hedtcke, RN, CCDS, at Aurora Summit Medical Center
- Open Discussion/Roundtable: Opportunities for CDI Initiatives in the Ambulatory Care environment as well as inpatient setting beyond reimbursement
Deadline to register is Sunday, February 12. Registration is $25 for WI ACDIS members; $50 non-members.
For information, contact Kathy Thomas, RN, at Wheaton Franciscan Health Care, kathleen.Thomas@wfhc.org; Renee Hedtcke, RN, CCDS, at Aurora Health Care, firstname.lastname@example.org; Diane Draize from Ministry Door County Medical Center Sturgeon Bay at email@example.com, Joan Korn from Wheaton Franciscan St. Francis in Milwaukee at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Glenn Krauss, independent consultant, email@example.com.
N. Illinois: The next meeting will take place on Thursday, February 16, from noon to 3:30 p.m., at Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights. The agenda includes:
- Participation in the ACDIS Quarterly Conference Call
- Presentation by Maralee Gray, BSN, CDI specialist at Rockford Memorial Hospital regarding “CDIS and ICD-10 Crossing Over: How to Safely Make it to the Other Side”
- Presentation by Karolee Fill, MSN, APN-CNP, at Northwest Community Hospital regarding “Basic Review of Echocardiography in the Heart Failure population”
For information, contact Nancy R. Ignatowicz at 815/806-2322 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Or contact Colleen Stukenberg MSN, RN, CMSRN, CCDS, at 815/599-6820, or e-mail CStukenberg@fhn.org.
California: The California ACDIS Chapter holds its regular meeting the fourth Wednesday of the month, February 22, 9-10 a.m. Those interested in volunteering to help lead the chapter are invited to step forward at this time. For information, contact Dexter D’Costa at 573/529-1791 or e-mail email@example.com.
Maine: The next meeting will be held Thursday, February 23, noon to 4 p.m., at Mid-Coast Hospital in Brunswick. For information, contact Cathy Seluke at 207/872-1796 or e-mail Cathy.Seluke@mainegeneral.org.
New England: The next New England Regional ACDIS Chapter meeting will be held Tuesday, February 28, 2-4 p.m., at Tufts Medical Center, Stearns Auditorium. Janet Cavagnac from Baystate will review ICD-10 coding in 3M software. Participants should bring a 3M equipped laptop if possible. Volunteers are needed to schedule future meeting and help lead the group. For information, contact Kelley Sears at 508/954-7432 or e-mail Kelley.Sears@steward.org.
Georgia (Southeast): The next Southeast ACDIS meeting will be Wednesday, February 29, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Parkridge Medical Center in Chattanooga, TN. For information, contact Bonnie I. Epps at 404/712-4550 or e-mail Bonnie.Epps@emoryhealthcare.org. Or visit the Southeast Regional ACDIS Chapter Facebook page for meeting announcements and other information.
New Jersey: The next NJ meeting will take place Friday, March 2. For information, contact Deborah Gardner-Brown at 732/238-4511, or e-mail Deborah@RRA-INC.com.
Tennessee: The next TN-ACDIS meeting will be held at Baptist Hospital in Nashville on Friday, March 16, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. For information, contact Sherri Clark at 865/804-6561 or e-mail SClark@mc.utmck.edu.
Long Island, NY: St. Francis Hospital hosts the next networking meeting on Tuesday, March 6, 3-5 p.m. For information, contact Adelaide M. La Rosa at 516/562-6229 or e-mail Adelaide.LaRosa@chsli.org.
Mid-West Regional: The Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota state ACDIS networks’ mid-west regional conference, has been postponed.
The following minutes and/or presentations have been made available from the following chapters:
The next meeting of the Minnesota group will be a 3M sponsored event Friday, Dec. 16, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at the 3M Innovation Center in Maplewood. For information, contact Mark LeBlanc at Mark.LeBlanc@ParkNicollet.com.
The next meeting of the Northern Ohio ACDIS Chapter takes place Thursday, Dec. 8, at Mercy Medical Center in Canton. Steven Robinson, MS, PA-O, RN, CPUR, senior director of CDI for Maxim Health Information Services will discuss the following CMS mandates and concurrent review opportunities:
- CMS current and upcoming mandates
- The importance of documentation in the medical record
- The typical CDI program
- MS-DRG IPPS (CC/MCC lists)
- POA coding
- JCAHO quality core measures
For information, contact Kristine Cilona, RN, at Kristine.Cilona@cantonmercy.org.
- SECACDIS Chapter meeting
- ICD-10 coding for orthopedics
- E/M coding
- Lunch and networking
- IPPS Final Rule updates applicable to CDI
The deadline for leadership nominations are due Friday, Dec. 9. Please take the opportunity to nominate a colleague via e-mail to Carla Payne at firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidate biographies/forms are due Dec. 12 and membership voting will take place from Dec. 19 through Jan. 9, 2012. There are currently 68 members in the chapter directory. Please take the time to participate by submitting your nominations today and make this a meaningful election of our chapter leadership.
The next Central Indiana ACDIS Chapter meeting takes place Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2012. For information, contact Susan Bradford, RN, BSN, by phone at 317/776-7285 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
The next Maryland Hospital Association Clinical Documentation Improvement Workgroup meets Friday, Dec. 16, from 12:30-1:30 p.m., for a holiday pot-luck lunch followed by its regular meeting from 1:30-3 p.m., at the Maryland Hospital Association Headquarters in Elkridge. For information, Contact Christine Mobley, RN, director of clinical documentation at Prince George’s Hospital Center, at christine.Mobley@dimensionshealth.org, or James Nagel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next Northern Illinois CDI meeting is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, Jan. 12, 2012. For information, contact Nancy R. Ignatowicz, at 815/806-2322 or by e-mail email@example.com. Or contact Colleen Stukenberg at 815/599-6820 or CStukenberg@fhn.org.
The Maine ACDIS Local Chapter will meet at Midcoast Hospital on Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2012. For information, contact Theresa Davis at 207/735-8340 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Southern Nevada Association of Clinical Documentation Specialists holds its next meeting Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2012. Guest speaker former ACDIS Advisory Board member Wendy DeVreugd will discuss “How to measure the success of your CDI program.” RSVP to Ailsa Kompare by Jan. 11, 2012 at 702/343-7232 or email@example.com.
The next California ACDIS webinar featuring a presentation regarding the role of CDI in RAC reviews and audit prevention will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 25, 9-10 a.m., PST. For information, contact Dexter D’Costa, MBBS, MHA, at Dexter.G.Dcosta@kp.org.
Other chapter news
The North Carolina ACDIS chapter now has a web site. Visit http://ncacdis.org/ to see photos from its November meeting and to learn more about recent events and initiatives. For information, contact Leah Taylor at 704/878-7436, or e-mail Leah.Taylor@iredellmemorial.org.
Editor’s Note: If you are interested in joining an existing local chapter please visit the Local Chapter page on the ACDIS web site. If you do not see a group listed for your area please e-mail ACDIS Associate Director Melissa Varnavas at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Central Indiana ACDIS networking group meets Wednesday, October 12, at 10 a.m., at IU Health in Indianapolis, for a presentation by Danita Forgey, an independent Consultant with the Indiana HIMA Task Force regarding the “Impact of ICD-10 on Clinical Documentation Improvement.” For information, contact meeting host Susan Bradford at email@example.com, or by phone at 317/776-7285.
The Capital (Albany) Region ACDIS group has a meeting scheduled for Wednesday, October 12, 2-4 p.m. For information, contact Lois Rubin RN, BSN, CCDS, CCS, supervisor of clinical documentation at St. Peter’s Hospital, at 518/525-1081 or by e-mail at LRubin@sphcs.org.
Tri-State (WI, MI, MN)
ACDIS Chapter leaders from Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota invite CDI specialists and related professionals to join them for the first Tri-State Regional Meeting Saturday, October 15, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., at Kalahari Resorts in Wisconsin Dells, WI. The agenda includes:
- Strategies for dealing with difficult physicians
- Physician query process: The ins and outs
- Continually educating physicians to avoid staleness in your program
- Over documentation: Challenges and solutions
- Collaboration between coders and CDI professionals to break down the silos
- Roundtable discussion
Continental breakfast and lunch will be provided. Participants can earn five CEs for the CCDS credential. A block of rooms has been reserved for October 14 and 15 at $129 per night including taxes. Reservations can be made by calling the Kalahari directly at 877/253-5466; request the WI-ACDIS room block. Note: As the reduced reservation rate has passed, the hotel may charge the the prevailing hotel room rate at its discretion.
Registration is $50. For information, contact Heidi Hillstrom at HHillstrom@slhduluth.com or call 218/249-5461.
The quarterly FL ACDIS meeting will be held Friday, October 21, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., at Morton Plant North Bay Hospital in New Port Richey. The agenda includes:
- 11-11:30 a.m.: Registration
- 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: Election of officers. Opening comments, survey results; most outrageous convention costume parade with prize winners. Prizes and raffles throughout the day (bring cash).
- 12:30-1:15 p.m.: Lunch and networking
- 1:15-3:15 p.m.: Presentation by Dr. Michaela Dragut, “ICD-10-CM/PCS Clinical Documentation Improvement Hot Topics.” CEUs for CCDS and coding.
- 3:15-4 p.m.: Discussion and closing comments
For information, contact chapter president Virginia Bailey by phone at 727/859-4880; vice-president Charringon (Charlie) Morell at 727/819-2929 ext.2252; or secretary/treasurer Kimberly Richert, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 727/725-6248.
The Oregon/SW Washington ACDIS Chapter meets Friday, October 21, from 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the Providence Portland Medical Center in Portland. The agenda includes:
- 8:15-8:45: Registration and networking
- 8:45-9 a.m.: Welcome and housekeeping
- 9-10 a.m.: Presentation by Cesar Limjoco, VP of clinical services for DCBA, Inc., “Where do I document the diagnosis?” (Live webinar.)
- 10-10:15 a.m.: Break
- 10:15-11:15 a.m.:Presentation by Hoa Ly, MD, utilization management physician advisor at Salmon Creek Medical Center, “Heart failure, coronary artery disease, and encephalopathy.”
- 11:20 a.m.-12:20 p.m.: Presentation by Teresa Bensen, RHIT, regional coding supervisor at Providence Health & Services, “ICD-9 changes for 2012.”
- 12:20-1:20 p.m.: Lunch on your own/networking
- 1:20-2 p.m.: Business meeting including financial and officers’ reports and election of officers for 2012.
- 2-3:30 p.m.: Presentation by Nancy Seebert, RN, BS, MA, CDI specialist at Legacy Mt. Hood Medical Center, “Change & transition: How do I make it through so many changes and how do I help others?”
- 3:30-3:45 p.m.: Break
- 3:45-4:15 p.m.: Panel discussion regarding on CCDS Certification
- 4:15-4:45 p.m.: Wrap-up
Admission is free to members. Annual membership (valid through 12/31/12) is $30. Admission is $10 for non-members. For additional information visit the Chapter Blog at http://oregonswwashingtonacdischapter.blogspot.com/ or contact chapter president Nancy R. Seebert, 503/674-1820 or by e-mail at email@example.com; or chapter vice president Janet Barber by phone at 503/215-0642 or by e-mail at Janet.Barber@providence.org.
The fifth quarterly ACDIS Virginia Chapter meeting will be Saturday, October 22, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center. The agenda includes a presentation by Robert Gold, MD, CEO of DCBA, Inc., “CDI Initiatives: Start now for ICD-10.” For information/to RSVP, contact meeting host Linda Steinhoff by phone at 757/312-5154 or e-mail Linda.Steinhoff@chesapeakeregional.com.
The next California ACDIS teleconference will be held Wednesday, October 26, 9-10 a.m. The group will discuss the role of clinical documentation improvement program in Recovery Audit Contractor defense. For information, contact chapter leader Dexter D’Costa by phone: 573/529-1791, or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next MN ACDIS meeting will be held Wednesday, October 26, 1-2 p.m. (Download the meeting minutes from August, or the meeting minutes from June.) For information, contact chapter leader Mark LeBlanc by phone at 952/993-5692 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Save the date
The next SC ACDIS Chapter meeting will be held Friday, November 11, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., at Providence Hospital in Columbia. The agenda includes:
- Presentation by Laura Nardone, RHIA, CCS, Senior Coding Manager and educator at AnMed Health, “The CDI Role in ICD-10-CM/PCS Transition.”
- Angela Worden, RN, BA/BS, Managing Director with FTI Consulting, “CDI Metrics: Making your program a success.”
- Connie Calvert, RHIA, CCS, CCDS, Palmetto Health, “Preparing for the CCDS Exam.”
Admission is free. To RSVP contact Dawn Oman by e-mail at Dawn.Oman@RoperSaintFrancis.com; include your name and the name of your facility. For information about the SC ACDIS Chapter, contact Rebecca “Ali” Williams, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 864/560-5701.
The CT ACDIS Chapter meets Thursday, November 10, 9-10:30 a.m., at The Hospital of Central Connecticut, Bradely Memorial Campus in Southington. The group will discuss “Principal Diagnosis: What Does It Really Mean?” CE credits for CCDS will be provided. For information, contact chapter leader MaryAnn Shanley at 860/714-1261 or e-mail email@example.com. Or call co-leader Alison Yazmer at 860/358-6224 or contact her by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next Kentucky/S. Indiana ACDIS networking meeting will be held Thursday, November 17, 1-4 p.m. The agenda includes:
- Acute and chronic respiratory failure
- Business meeting
CEUs will be offered. To RSVP, contact meeting host Rita Fields at rita.fields@BHSI.COM. For information or to join the networking group, contact chapter leader Dee Schad at 502/550-0911or contact her by e-mail at Dee.email@example.com.
The CT CDI networking group meets Thursday, September 8, 9-10:30 a.m., at The Hospital of Central Connecticut, Bradley Memorial Campus in Southington. For information, contact MaryAnn Shanley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next Southeast ACDIS meeting will take place Friday, September 9, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Medical Center of Central Georgia in Macon. RSVPs are requested to Jamie Doster at email@example.com or by phone at 404/578-0262.
Plan to arrive by 9:20 a.m. to allow time for parking, registration, morning refreshments, and networking. Save time by submitting your membership application (see below) and pay dues to the treasurer prior to the meeting date. Attached are:
- Membership application if you wish to join the chapter. Annual dues are $25 with check made payable to “SECACDIS.” All quarterly meetings are included in the membership dues.
- Meeting attendance application: Application to attend just one meeting for non-chapter members. Cost is $10 per meeting.
- Agenda: Note the meeting will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will be an optional Facebook crash course following the meeting for those wishing to learn how to interact on the chapter’s Facebook site.
- Minutes from the last meeting in June to be voted on.
- Bylaws to be voted on at next meeting.
A CDI round table discussion will be held on Thursday, September 15, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City. For information, contact Than Than Lee at 212/824-8180 or email ThanThan.Lee@mountsinai.org.
CDI Week Meetings
(Editor’s Note: Meeting locations listed in italic denote special, after-hours events associated with CDI Week not necessarily formal “chapter” events.)
San Francisco Bay, CA
Is organizing a happy hour meet-and-greet for CDI and related professionals on Wednesday, September 21, 5-8 p.m. at the Clement Street Bar and Grill. All CDI-related professionals are welcome to drop by for drinks and/or appetizers and dinner. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 573/529-1791.
The next Northern Illinois CDI chapter meeting will be at Delnor in Geneva, on Thursday, September 22, 1-3:30 p.m. For information, contact Colleen M. Stukenberg by phone at 815/599-6820 or by e-mail at CStukenberg@fhn.org.
Las Vegas, NV
The Nevada ACDIS Chapter will host a CDI Week happy hour Friday, September 23, 5-8 p.m., at the Fire Fly, 3900 Paradise
Road, Las Vegas. The event is a “buy your own” but because it is a tapas bar, items are typically under $10. It should be a bunch of fun and a great networking opportunity! Here is a link to their website if you want to see what they have.
RSVP to Alisa Kompare at Ailsa.Kompare@kindredhealthcare.com or call 702/343-7232.
Los Angeles, CA
A gathering of CDI-colleagues from the Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley areas are invited to attend a happy hour event in honor of CDI Week Friday, September, 23, 5-8 p.m., at the Yard House – Paseo Colorado in Pasadena. For information and to RSVP contact, Cris Gumayagay at email@example.com.
Our next ACDIS-CA Chapter meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, September 28, 9-10 a.m. The speaker will be Wendy DeVreugd from Kindred Healthcare who will be presenting on Kindred’s model of CDI. For information, contact Dexter D’Costa at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 573/529-1791.
The NE Regional CDI network meets Wednesday, October 5, 1-3:30 p.m., at Lowell General Hospital’s Clark Auditorium. The meeting will feature a presentation by Richard Birkhead, MD, FACC, Chief of Cardiology regarding documentation for fluid overload vs CHF, Cor Pulmonale, pericarditis, and tamonade, among other topics. For information, contact Kelley Sears at Kelley.Sears@steward.org or call 508/954-7432.
Tri-State (WI, MI, MN)
The ACDIS Chapter leaders from Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota invite CDI specialists and related professionals to join them for the first Tri-State Regional Meeting Saturday, October 15, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., at Kalahari Resorts in Wisconsin Dells, WI. The agenda includes:
- Strategies for dealing with difficult physicians
- Physician query process: The ins and outs
- Continually educating physicians to avoid staleness in your program
- Over documentation: Challenges and Solutions
- Collaboration between coders and CDI professionals to break down the silos
- Roundtable discussion
Continental breakfast and lunch will be provided. Five CEs will be provided for those who need CEs for the CCDS credentials. For those needing lodging a block of rooms has been reserved for October 14 and 15 at $129 per night inclusive of taxes. Reservations can be made by calling the Kalahari directly at 877/253-5466 by Wednesday, September 14 and request the WI-ACDIS room block. After this date, the prevailing hotel room rate may be charged at the discretion of the hotel.
Registration is $50 and the deadline is October 1. For information, contact Heidi Hillstrom at HHillstrom@slhduluth.com or call 218/249-5461.
The fifth quarterly ACDIS Virginia Chapter will meet Saturday, October 22, with Robert Gold, MD, CEO of DCBA, Inc., as the guest speaker. Gold will discuss “CDI Initiatives: Start now for ICD-10.” For information, contact Linda Steinhoff by phone at 757/312-5154 or email Linda.Steinhoff@chesapeakeregional.com.
The NC ACDIS Chapter meets Friday, Aug. 5, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Sapona Country Club, in Lexington. The agenda includes:
- 8-9 a.m.: Registration and reception with continental breakfast
- 9-10:30 a.m.: Keynote Speaker-Steve Robinson, MS, RN, PA, CPUR, Sr. Director, Clinical Documentation Improvement Solutions at Maxim Health Information Services “Current/Upcoming CMS Mandates and Concurrent Review.” Robinson will discuss:
- Appropriate MS-DRG assignment
- RAC preparedness
- POA coding
- Core Measures Coordination
- 2012 IPPS proposal and pending final rule
- ICD-10 impact on CDI
- 10:45-11:30 a.m.: NC ACDIS business meeting
- 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: Lunch
- 12:30-2 p.m.: Closing Speaker-Nicole Greer, PPCC, founder of Vibrant Coaching and lead trainer for Laurie Beth Jones Inc. National Training Team “Engaging the Elements of Success: A Highly Intuitive Tool for Communication, Growth, and Success!”
Attendees are asked to register by Friday, July 29. Cost is $25 per person and includes breakfast, lunch, CEUs, and door prizes. For information, contact Leah Taylor via e-mail at Leah.Taylor@iredellmemorial.org or by phone at 704/878-7436; or Brenda Harris via e-mail at Brenda.Harris@carolinashealthcare.org or by phone at 704/863-6378; or visit http://ncacdis.org/
The ACDIS Central Ohio Chapter meets Thursday, Aug. 18, 1:30-3 p.m., at the James Cancer Hospital. The topic for discussion will be ICD-10 and CDI. RSVP to email@example.com.
NY/PA Regional Network meets at The Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, PA, in its Patterson Auditorium, Friday, Aug. 19, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. We also have video conferencing available for seven more facilities, so sign up soon. (Please allow time to complete a video trial before the conference day.)
We have been approved by ACDIS for four credits towards the Certified Clinical Documentation Specialist (CCDS) certification. We will have four guest presentations including:
- Jonathan Elion, MD: Dr. Elion has 40 years of experience in computing and more than 25 years of experience in medical computing and information standards, and is the founder of ChartWise Medical Systems. He will be speaking about ethical practices in CDI and the importance of quality documentation.
- Mario A. Perez, III, RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P: Perez is the Director, Coding and Documentation Compliance for J.A. Thomas & Associates, Inc. He will be speaking about why facilities need CDI programs, how to makes them successful, and how justify CDI efforts to the larger facility stakeholders.
- Glenn Krauss, BBA, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, C-CDIS, CCDS, independent consultant based in Madison, WI, will discuss the future of CDI.
- Jean Elsener, RN CPUR, CRN-C, CRN-A CCDS, CDI specialist, Quality Management, will discuss writing concise, standardized, and non-leading queries.
For information, contact Susan Tiffany RN, CCDS, supervisor CDI, Guthrie Healthcare System, Robert Packer & Corning Hospitals at 570/887-6094 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
The NJ ACDIS Chapter holds a “summer outing” Friday, Aug. 19, 1:30-4 p.m., at RRA, Inc., Meeting Annex, 385 West Ferris St., East Brunswick. The meeting will include tasty frozen drinks and yummy appetizers and door prizes. It also features an opportunity to share CDI best practices and trouble areas, explore ways to achieve physician compliance, and preview of Quadrameds ICD-10 Simulator and CDI Tracking software. For information contact, Deborah Gardner-Brown at 732/238-4511, or e-mail Deborah@RRA-INC.com
FLACDIS Quarterly Meeting is set for Saturday, Aug. 20, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., at Sacred Heart Medical Center, 5151 N Ninth Ave., Pensacola. The agenda has changed slightly:
- Three CEU’s awarded for CCDS renewal including:
- Virginia Bailey/Dr. Dragut – Coding Quiz
- Trivia Contest-Kimberly Richert
- Dr. Michelle Dragut (E-mail topic requests to Virginia.email@example.com)
- Katherine (Kitty) Novak, Director FTI Consulting presenting on principal diagnosis selection
- Raffles, even a 50/50 one this time!
- Corn dogs, candy apples, cotton candy!
- Opportunity to network with your peers
- Blue Ribbon Pie Contest
ACDIS-CA chapter meets via teleconference Wednesday, Aug. 24, 9-10 a.m. For information, contact Dexter D’Costa by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next meeting of the Southeast Chapter will be at Medical Center Central Georgia in Macon, Sept. 9, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. RSVP to email@example.com. Attendance is $10 for non-members; annual membership dues are $25.
The next Maine ACDIS meeting is scheduled for Sept. 20. For information, contact Theresa Davis BSN, RN, CCDS, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The MI ACDIS Chapter has postponed its July meeting and will hold its next teleconference on Thursday, Oct. 20, noon to 1 p.m. The meeting features an in-depth look at how ICD-10 affects CDI program practices with MI member Sue Haley. For information contact, Janet Gentle, at 231/487-3564 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
The first SC ACDIS Chapter kickoff was a huge success, so save-the-date for the next meeting slated for Friday, Nov. 11, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., at Providence Hospital, in Columbia. For information, contact Rebecca “Ali” Williams at 864/560-5701 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CA ACDIS Chapter meets Wednesday, July 27, 9-10 a.m., PST, via conference call. The agenda includes:
- Quarterly ACDIS Chapter Leadership Update – 15 min
- Presentation titled “Teamwork: Coders and Documentation Specialists Working Together,” by Scripps Memorial Hospital CDI specialists Emily Emmons, RN, and Donna Hannagan, RN – 30min
- Q&A – 15 min
For more information, contact Dexter D’Costa, MBBS, MHA Regional Director, Clinical Documentation Integrity NCAL Revenue Cycle Kaiser Foundation Health Plan Inc. & Hospitals by phone at 510/625-5350 or by e-mail at Dexter.G.Dcosta@kp.org.
The spring meeting of the Southeast Chapter of ACDIS meets Friday, June 17, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at DeKalb Medical Center in Decatur, GA. The event includes: networking, educational sessions with CEs, door-prizes, and more. To RSVP, e-mail email@example.com.
The next ACDIS-California chapter teleconference will be held Wednesday, June 22, 9-10 a.m. For information, call Dexter D’Costa at 573/529-1791 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next MN CDI networking meeting will be held Wednesday, June 22, 1-2 p.m., featuring guest speaker A. Robert Tucker III, MD, chief medical officer/medical director of utilization management, at a 400-bed tertiary hospital in Northern Virginia. Dr. Tucker will discuss encephalopathy with CABGs.
For information, contact Heidi Hillstrom MS, MBA, RN, CCDS, by phone at 218/249-5461 or by e-mail at email@example.com
The next Wisconsin ACDIS Chapter teleconference will be held Thursday, June 23, 1-2 p.m. Agenda items include:
- Lessons learned from the ACDIS audio conference Physician Query Workshop
- Results of WI chapter member survey
- Creation of bylaws, formation of a meeting events committee
- Update on the development of a state chapter website
For information, contact Glenn Krauss at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next NE Regional CDS meeting will be held Wednesday, June 29, 12:30-3 p.m., at Newton-Wellesley Hospital in Newton, MA. Please feel free to bring a lunch. The agenda includes a presentation by Ann Wallace, geriatric nurse practioner on the topic “Delirium: Underappreciated and over treated.” The presentation has been approved for 2.0 nursing CE contact hours. For information, contact Kelley Sears, RN, CCDS at Kelley.Sears@CaritasChristi.org.
The Tennessee ACDIS Chapter meets Friday, July 1, 9 a.m. to noon, at the University of Tennessee Medical Center, in Knoxville. The agenda includes:
- A presentation by James S. Kennedy, MD, CCS, managing director of FTI Healthcare in Brentwood titled “CDI in an APR-DRG environment: bridging the gap between coders and providers.”
- Discussion of the foundational requirements for establishing the chapter.
- Discussion of Blue Cross Blue Shield’s impending transition to APR-DRGs and its impact on quality measurement and reimbursement.
- Discussion of a pathophysiologic approach to common conditions (e.g., sepsis, chest pain, heart failure, altered mental status, chronic kidney disease) pertinent to APR-DRGs.
For information, contact Jennifer Turner, RN, CCDS by phone at 423/778-9225 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
The New Orleans ACDIS Chapter meets Tuesday, July 12, 4-6 p.m., at Semolinas Restaurant at Clearview Mall in Metairie. For information, contact Royceann Brechtel Fugler, RN, BC, MHA by phone at 504/ 456-5186 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Central Indiana ACDIS Chapter meets Wednesday, July 13, at the IU Health Bloomington Hospital. The agenda features a presentation by Glenn Krauss, ACDIS Advisory Board member and independent consultant regarding strategies to communicate with difficult physicians.
The next Virginia ACDIS Chapter meeting will be held Saturday, July 30, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., at August Health in Fisherville. To RSVP, contact Bea Benson, RN, BSN at email@example.com.
The NY/PA Regional ACDIS Network holds its next meeting Friday, August 19, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, PA. The event is free. Video conferencing is available to the first 10 registrants who require it. The agenda includes guest speakers:
- Jonathan Elion, MD, founder of ChartWise Medical Systems, who will discuss ethical practices in CDI and the importance of quality documentation.
- Mario A. Perez, III, RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P, director of coding and documentation compliance at J.A. Thomas & Associates, Inc., who will discuss CDI programs, why they are needed, how to make them successful and how to justify implementation.
- Glenn Krauss, BBA, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P, C-CDIS, CCDS, independent consultant who will discuss the future of CDI programs, understanding the value of CDI beyond financial reimbursement.
- Jean Elsener, RN CPUR, CRN-C, CRN-A CCDS, who will discuss how to craft concise, standardized, and non-leading queries.
Each presenter will speak for an hour, with time for questions and discussion. There will also be time to network, visit with exhibitors, and sign up for raffles.
For information, contact Susan Tiffany RN, CCDS, at 570/882-6094, pager #465; or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
During the next Connecticut ACDIS Chapter meeting on Thursday, May 12, memebers will discuss the creation of chapter bylaws and mission statement, complete a learning module regarding principal diagnosis and share tools for the creation of a chapter resource library. For information, contact MaryAnn Shanley at email@example.com. Read the minutes from the March meeting.
St. Alexius Medical Center hosts the next N. Illinois ACDIS Chapter meeting on Friday, May 13, from 12:30-3 p.m. Possible agenda items include sharing information learned from the 4th Annual ACDIS conference and recent RAC findings/experiences. For information, contact Ellen Chang, RN, CCDS, Clinical Documentation Manager, at 847/755-7610 or by e-mail at Ellen.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next Maine ACDIS Meeting will be held Tuesday, May 17, 1-5 p.m., at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Brewer. Agenda includes:
- Updates from 2011 ACDIS National Conference
- CEUs for local meetings
- ACDIS website demonstration
- Group structure
The Hawaii ACDIS Chapter meets Wednesday, May 18, from noon to 1:30 p.m., at Castle Medical Center where attendees will listen to and discuss the HCPro audio conference “Short Stays: A Data Driven Approach to Medical Necessity.” For information, contact Eleu Zane at Eleu.Zane@palimomi.org.
The Columbus, OH, ACDIS Chapter meets Thursday, May 19th. For information, contact Sheri Blanchard, RN, Clinical Documentation Specialist, at Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital at 614/366-4197.
The next meeting of the Florida ACDIS Chapter themed “Another Day in Paradise,” takes place Friday, May 20, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Jupiter Medical Center in Jupiter, FL. The agenda includes:
- Registration and breakfast
- Margi Brown, consultant: “Blending Denials into the CDI Mix”
- Raffles and networking
- Cortnie Simmons and Cheryl Bowling, Kforce Healthcare: “Translating ICD-9 to ICD 10 for Common Diagnosis
- Lunch and networking
- Cathy Cover, manager of RAC Denials at MPM and Dr. Mark Michelman, physician advisor at MPM: “Sink or Swim: Surviving the RAC Attack
Reserversations requested. Contact Iris at 561/745-5783. First time attendees are welcome. CEUs cost $10.
The First Annual WI ACDIS Conference will be held on Saturday, May 21, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., at Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare, in Wauwatosa. The meeting titled “Clinical Informatics for the CDIS Query Process,” includes:
- “Recognition of Atypical Clinical Presentations and the Query Process” by Dr. Gamal Eskander
- “Highlights of the 4th Annual ACDIS Conference including legal perils of physician querying” by Lynn Sisler, Diane Draize, and Glenn Krauss.
- “Sharing of CDIS Best Practices from WI ACDIS Members,” a panel discussion.
- “Recognition of Query Opportunities,” role playing participations of verbal and written query dissemination.
- “The Expanded Role of CDI specialists,” discussion of how to collaborate with case management.
CCDS CEUs offered. Buffet Lunch will be provided and ample time will be available for chapter networking. RSVP required. Registration will be from 9-9:45 a.m. Meeting will start promptly at 10 a.m. Registration fee is $20 and includes lunch, drinks, and morning coffee.
For information, contact Diane Draize at Diane.Draize@ministryhealth.org or by phone at 920/743-5566 ext. 3143; Joan Korn at Joan.Korn@wfhc.org or by phone at 414/647-5248; Glenn Krauss at GlennKrauss@earthlink.net or by phone at 603/303-3337.
The next California meeting takes place Wednesday, May 25, 9-10 a.m., via webinar. For information, contact Dexter D’Costa, email@example.com.
The next Minnesota ACDIS Chapter teleconference meeting will be held Wednesday, May 25, at 1 p.m., hosted by North Memorial Health Care in Robbinsdale, MN. For information, contact Nancy Barnes at Nancy.Barnes@NorthMemorial.com or call 763/520-1974. Or contact MN Chapter leader Heidi Hillstrom by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.